If your 65th birthday is coming up, it’s time to prepare for Medicare health insurance coverage. Knowing what to expect will help you understand the role of Medicare in your life. That’s why Blue KC is dedicated to giving the information you need to stay informed every step of the way.
Medicare Starts at 65
You become eligible for Original Medicare, which includes Parts A and B, at the age of 65. Everyone is granted a seven-month Initial Enrollment Period (IEP) when signing up for Original Medicare. This enrollment period begins three months before the month you turn 65, includes the month you turn 65, and ends three months after you turn 65.
If you do not sign up during your IEP, you will need to sign up during the General Enrollment Period (January 1 – March 31) the following year or during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).
- SEP is most common for individuals who choose to work past the age of 65
- It is important to note that those who do not sign up during the IEP and do not qualify for a SEP may face a late enrollment penalty
Once you enroll in Medicare, you can always switch Medicare plans during the Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) (October 15 – December 7) each year.
Working Past 65
If you're working past 65 and have health coverage through your employer, you can choose to delay taking Part B coverage from the government. However, it is important to evaluate your current coverage and make sure it's the right fit for you. You can:
- Compare Original Medicare with your current employer plan
- Talk with your employer about your plan and how it could work with Original Medicare
- Consider using a combination of Original Medicare, your employer's plan, and a Medicare Supplement plan from Blue KC
If you are self-employed, you will need to sign up for Original Medicare with the government.
Prepare for Medicare Costs
Find the Medicare Plan That's Right for You
Is a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare Supplement plan right for you? Our online Medicare Plan Finder can help. Use it to find a plan that might be a good match for your healthcare needs.